MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
Xenons from MINI not available until June build cars...
Not until June build cars for the UK market only, or all markets?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Xenon HID Headlamp (Headlight)

From visiting the NAIAS 2002 in Detroit, they look like this. The Digital Camera did not capture just how insanely bright they are. They are the same tint of pure white as a BMW's (Surprise, huh?)

They take about a 1-2 count to get to full brightness, but don't flicker like some of the early systems. Just turn on bright, then crazy bright. Apparently 25% brighter than any halogen system, but with the whiter light they look many, many times brighter than that.

The little exhibit set-up was like a MINI Science Centre exhibit. This one had a picture of a headlamp, and when you pulled a flap down, one of these snapped on, aimed at your head. Bit of an assault on the eyes.

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
For what it's worth, my dealer has said the Xenons will be available from day one (March) despite some early problems.

The MINI I saw in person had them and they looked/worked great. Debating whether to spend the $500 for them........

·
Registered
529 Posts
My mini is waiting on Xenon's.
Will arrive with them on mid may.

Even though my dealer...Taylor's BMW, Boston, UK has one in with xenons! argh!

Black/White Mini Cooper on order!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Even the very early demo/show cars had Xenon's fitted, but I am fairly certain they wont be available till June (although it could actually have been March).

In fact, that's right (scrabbling around MINI stuff here)... Heated screen was June, Xenons March.

:)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Xenon HID Gas Lamps are standard on all the Canadian MINI's except for the first 500 pre-spec'd launch editions. Not something I would have forked extra money out for otherwise... Besides, most all of the other drivers seem to hate them. People blink back their high beams as if you were driving around with your high beams on. Maybe the MINI will be better because it's so low. Can't wait until SUV's start driving around with HID lamps, that'd be a treat in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have the Xenons on my wife's 3 series - $500 option, and well worth the money. Plus, they look really cool as they fire up !! :p

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Has anyone had to replace a burned out bulb yet? I hear they may last for the life of the vehicle, but I also hear it costs a heck of a lot to replace them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
448 Posts
A xenon bulb shouldn't burn out, it has a lifespan longer than you'll own the car. But if id does go, I'd ecpect between £70 and £100 for the bulb, £300+ for the whole lamp.

With the lenses being some variety of polycarbonate, they should be a bit more resistant to stone-strikes than glass (and the angle helps, too) but they will scratch if you're not carefull.

Oh, and the rumour that UK drivers can convert them to a beam pattern legal on the continent with a flick of a switch, rather than a couple of sticky bits of black plastic, is also true :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
bad news for all of us already with our minis is that the xenons are not available as a retro fit

It also says in the handbook that with the xenons should you need to go to the continent speak to your dealer who can provide you with tape to cover the lens and protect the angles
;)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What's all this about taping up your lights or flipping switches? Is there a different output and dispersion requirements in different parts of europe? Where is the switch hidden?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here's the deal -

With headlights, there are two types of beam - main and dipped. With halogens, that's usually done by having two separate bulbs and two separate reflectors, and either two lenses or one lense with two sepearate parts. The dipped beam is cut-off part way up so that the headlights illuminate in front of the car, but only so high - lower than the position of drivers in oncoming cars, or we'd dazzle them. With xenons, the main beam and dipped beams are usually provided by the same bulb, tilted up for main beam and down for dipped.

The dipped beam has an angled cut-off so that more of the left hand verge is illuminated, and higher up (here in the UK). That is caused by the lense pattern. Of course continental drivers have a different lense pattern so that they see more of the right hand verge. If we use a UK lense on a RHD car on the continent, this pattern means we'd dazzle the oncoming drivers even with our lights dipped (and vice versa). To convert a headlamp for continental driving, we have to cover the part of the lense that throws light up and to the left - hence the black stickers. For halogens.

Now from what I've been told of xenon lamps, the lense is clear - no beam pattern. Instead, the beam pattern is set by the shape of the reflector and the position of the bulb itself. Apparently, to convert from RHD to LHD patterns, theres a switch under the bonnet on the back of the headlamp assembly. Little bits of black plastic are no use at all, as the beam pattern isn't set by the lense.

Halogen drivers need plastic stickers, xenon drivers will not. At least, that's what my sources tell me, and they make the damn things so they'd better know!:D Are you sure the handbook is talking about the xenon lamps?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I see Bi-xenons being spec'd on BMWs. Does that mean both high and low-beam are Xenon ... meaning just low-beam are Xenon for the MINI?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts