MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a favor to ask of MC/MCS owners. I work third shift and drive mostly at night. I was wondering if you know some one who has normal headlights and some one else has Xenon headlights or maybe vice versa... Anyway could two people get their cars together on a dark night and get a side by side picture of the differences in the headlights? Preferably both from inside the car and outside the car looking at them.

$550 is $550 that could be saved or applied to get metallic paint.

Some pictures on the web would put an end to this debate once and for all!

Thanks in Advance

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
I can't do much for pictures but I can say that Xenons are worth every penny! So worth it, and besides the excellent light they provide, the just look so cool!

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I had the Halogens on my MC, and have Xenons on my MCS. (but the headlights changed between '02 and '05, so its not a super fair comparision, but good enough)

First of all - the Xenons are only the low beams - so it depends a bit where you're driving. If you're on deserted roads and using your high beams, then the Xenons don't play as big of a role. If you're in the city, but want better vision, they're helpful there.

I'm sure people with disagree with me about Xenons and their effect on high beams, but in any case, as its dark pretty early now, go test drive before work some evening, and see if the halogens are 'good enough'

its really contingent on what you need, there is a difference, but in my view, its much more of a difference in the color of the light, and less in the sheer volume of light - but I drive in the city or on well lit freeways most of the time.

The final theory - Xenons are a safety issue, or at least could be - metallic paint is just shiny. Keep that in mind if that's really the tradeoff you're looking at. Most people who have Xenons got them in the Sport package on their MCS, its less common to spec them individually, or on an MC.

·
fun fun fun!
206 Posts
I think that they are very cool because they are fully WHITE. but i think they are only worth half the price.... i have a pic of them in the day... soon to hope to take one at night...

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really love my xenon's. Their distance is not any further then the halogens but is seems there is a larger spread. The color is sharp and clear. When I encounter a car with xenons I believe there is less glare. Making it easier for me to see them and not just their lights. IMHO. Well worth it on coolness factor alone. Vision and safety are an added bonus. Yes, they came with the sport package but thats why I got the package. Them and the fog lights.

·
mini? miiiiini.
30 Posts
well, hello to everyone..

i have the xenons on my mcs, and like stryder said, they'll be most helpful if you're driving in city conditions, not somewhere you'll have to do a lot of driving on country roads where there is little traffic and less than adequate lighting. xenons or not, high beams are conventional halogen lights.

put superficially, xenons definitely differentiate your car in traffic and its pretty awesome watching them self level as you're driving.

i'd say drain the 550 on the xenons and be happy.

·
Checkmate Blue & Silver
91 Posts
check out the pics of my little mini....raped for xenon lights.

·
Registered
87 Posts
cant u get an after market one?

my bf has 2001 prelude and got his HID for couple hundreds and installed in by himself.. he said he would do it for me when i get my mini.. so i am too considering on Xenon.. and his headlight looks just FABULOUS!! so.. saving couple hundreds might be fun.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Xenons are worth every penny. The light is much whiter and a good spread. Gives you much more confidence when driving at night.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Definetelly worth every penny ... the halogens are like driving with a flashlight compared to the Xenons. The spread and clarity of the light is so much better. Everyone that has driven with me (even people who don't have cars) always comment on how good visibility is at night.

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
When I ordered my MC (Nov 2002, collected it March 2003) I knew I wanted Xenons having never even driven a car with them. Now I would struggle without them. The only way I can describe them is that normal headlights look like two spots of light on the roads where as with my Xenons I feel like its a wide band of continuous light.

·
BEP Owner
189 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Xenons too - they light up such a wide area with such a clear light - driving at night is SOOO much more pleasant with them

and ONE DAY I'll even SEE the washers in action ;)

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Oh the fun you can have with the washers! Someone you don't like walking past your car?? Give the headlights a quick squirt - oh dear did you spary the person wlaking past???

I know it's childish but I love it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have owned cars in the past with xenons i.e Audi TT and they have a tint of blue in the light! Are the ones on the Mini the same as I haven't driven past any yet on a night?

·
Registered
624 Posts
i would defintely go for it if budget allows...
it is just so much brighter at night when driving (particular the 05 MCS ones)
defintely worth what they cost (and not that expensive for oem IMO)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts