MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other Canucks been following the threads in the Interior & Ice forum regarding the addition of an XM Direct receiver to their MINI?
With the recent announcement that Canadian Satellite Radio (a venture with XM Direct) is gearing for a start-up, this has piqued my curiosity.
But alas, unlike the US MINI's, my March '04 Cooper does not appear to have the Satellite wiring harness located in the boot passenger side panel, at least not that I can see.
How can this be? I assumed it would be present on Canadian models as I understood it to be part of the wiring for the addition of the CD changer.
Anyone have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The wiring for the CD changer is not in that panel as one would expect. It is found underneath the carpet and lift panel for the spare. I know because I got a Blitzsafe adapter and was surprised that the outputs weren't in the panel. They can't be pulled up into the panel though; mine have been pulled up for the install.

Harry

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harry, do you mean pulled up through the boot? Like through an access hole?
My Cooper is a Classic, so no spare, but I'll check around the jack/mobility kit recess for the wires.
Sounds like you are getting XM - do let us know how the install and results turn out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It is under the mat and yes, it can be pulled through into the side. Not via an access hole, just pulled up where there is some space, more of an access crack...

Only other possibility is that the Classic doesn't include the CD changer pre-wiring. Mine is an old 2002 Launch Edition and it had the prewiring.

Harry

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing under the boot mat in my MC - had another look today as well as both side access panels.
Lots of wires in both sides but no sign of any plugs or leads even under all the tape.
At my only service recently for the emissions recall I asked the Service Manager about having no CD changer/XM module connections, he had a brief look and commented something along the lines of "some of them don't come with it".
I guess I could consider an Ipod.
Am currently looking into Bluetooth handsfree use with the Boost CD.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I use an old (circa 2000) Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox (6MB HD) MP3 player with my Blitzsafe adapter (2002 MINI Coopers didn't have an AUX port). It works really well and while I'm thinking about XM, really the ability to create my own playlists is the best. Not having to skip a song ever is ideal and an MP3 player with thousands of songs gives you that.

Harry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts