MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the myradiostore.com bundle for ever, and thinking it was way to expensive, I ended up buying the stand alone parts from Crutchfield (XM Direct box) and Blitzsafe (MINI Interface). Total $150!!!! (plus postage)

Install was a breeze, under 15 mins to power-up.

XM-ready wiring loom is already in the boot passenger side storage (2003 onwards)

Antenna is mag mount and sits on the roof behind the RF antenna - cable runs into car via the large grommet for the hatch cable loom

Roll away the rubber seal to allow access to the roof liner, and feed the cable towards the rear passenger side pillar

Cable drops down the pillar into the storage area, and you plug up the XM module, and the Blitsafe unit, to the antenna and MINI loom

Test the set-up before final install - you get the XM test channel on 1 when you use MODE on the MINI stereo unit to select SAT

Then do the final fix in the storage area using industrial double sided tape

Close the hatch, and it's a really neat install

Authorized the set online ($9.99), and it took about 15 mins for the XM unit to be enabled for full channel operation.

Sound is superb, no drop-outs and no advertizing!

XM controls from the stereo and steering wheel, display shows channel/artist/song info as well.

I'm sold already!

Chris. :smile:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds too easy, too good to be true. I have a 05 MCS and are you saying XM will work with my standard head unit for just $150? They're charging $550 at the dealer!

What about Sirrius?

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My point exactly!

Until the parts to do your own install were readily available, you had to pay either $300 at myradiostore.us or $500+ at the dealers.

As you have an 05, I'd call Blitzsafe and check that their adapter module is good for the 05 MINI head-unit. My understanding is that it's fine, it's the Sirius module that doesn't work in the 05 MINI.

Other than that, it really is that simple. The wiring is already in the MINI, you just plug it all in and route the antenna to the roof as I suggested.

if you feel you want to pay more you can!

The 'kit' is available from myradiostore here but why pay the extra $$$ when it's so easy to source the tuner and interface for less.

As for Sirius, you'll have to do your own research on that one.

Chris.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can you provide the exact model no. of the Blitz Safe project as I cannot seem to locate it to purchase. Thanks.

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joeyjoe9 said:
Can you provide the exact model no. of the Blitz Safe project as I cannot seem to locate it to purchase. Thanks.
It's not listed on their website yet.

My invoice from Blitzsafe says: XMD/BMW 101 - XM Direct BMW Satellite Interface 2003-4

Call them as I did, and ask to buy direct over the phone.

Chris.

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
asmujica said:
I thought the mini already had a integrated antena for XM radio?
No, not on any MINI I've seen.

The head-unit has been Sat Ready from 2003, meaning that it can talk to an external sat tuner with antenna via a suitable interface.

What gave you the idea the antenna was already on the car?

You're not thinking of the sat-nav shark fin antenna are you?

Chris.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I guess I supposed that satelite radio ready meant that it already had the antena for it. I was considering purchasing it but adding an extra antena to the car sorta disuades me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Working on something for forum members?

I called today to order an adapter directly from Blitzsafe but was unsuccessful. They would only take my contact information and said that they were working on something for forum members. I was told to expect to hear back from them in a few days.

Does anyone have any information on what may be in the works?

This thread inspired me to pickup a XMDirect unit and now I am just waiting for a way to plug it in to my Mini...

·
rajron
16 Posts
re: BlitzSafe XMD/BMW 101 Interface, for Mini Cooper to the Trek XM Direct Universal Tuner Box

I did my part and e-mailed Trek, and in very brief words explained the situation, and asked if they will be making an interface to complement their Universal Tuner box to a Mini Cooper.
Like you and others have said if everyone shows an interest in a new interface module from another source, then perhaps we will benefit from the additional competition.
In defense to BlitzSafe, most likely they are being forced into this situation, so competition will be good for all.

rajron

·
Registered
1 Posts
On your Blitzsafe adapter I noticed two extra cables. Do these cable go to something or are they left disconnected. I believe that the Blitzsafe cable that you have is also used for the Terk XM Commander tuner (It requires those cables) The part# for the Blitzsafe adapter Is: BMW/XM DMX CMD V.1 it is also listed as MINI/XM DMX CMD V.1

Please let me know where those two mystery cables go

Rodney

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rappr said:
On your Blitzsafe adapter I noticed two extra cables. Do these cable go to something or are they left disconnected. I believe that the Blitzsafe cable that you have is also used for the Terk XM Commander tuner (It requires those cables) The part# for the Blitzsafe adapter Is: BMW/XM DMX CMD V.1 it is also listed as MINI/XM DMX CMD V.1

Please let me know where those two mystery cables go

Rodney
I bought the version of the interface that has a pass thru - i.e. you can add aditional items to the audio system after the XM unit.

Typically used for the 6 Disc CD changer, or perhaps an iPod interface etc etc.

You can buy with or without the pass thru, but the price was the same so I figured I'd by with, just in case!

Chris.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
MCC and XM

I have ordered an MCC with SatNav. Any Ideas on how and where to mount the sat nav antenna? :confused:

The HK radio is Standard with the cabrio, does anyone know if the bltzsafe unit work with the HK radio head and harness :confused: :confused:

Just one of three RF challenges I have to solve. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for the help ;)

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
phoggberg said:
The HK radio is Standard with the cabrio, does anyone know if the bltzsafe unit work with the HK radio head and harness :confused: :confused:
Yep, the BlitzSafe works with the HK - I installed one last night in an 04 MCS

Tight fit in the MCS boot, but it all went in ok - Blitzsafe is behind the XM Direct module.

Sounds great through the HK system.

Chris.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
Just went back to the dealer, to have a look... Anyone mounted the antenna on a cabrio? :confused: :confused: I am at a bit of a loss on where to mount the antenna, so it has a good look at the sky, anywhere o the front windscreen frame is out, and the boot mear the top leaves a lot of wire flopping around. Near the bottom of the boot by the hinges, might work, but I am not sure about recpetion. That leaves the bonnet, and I think that might be a little tacky. :bad:

Thanks in advance :)

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
coolbluecooper said:
According to my dealer, The Cabrio antenna will work with XM or Sirius if you do the XM direct. That is what they told me.
So How do you hook up the XM Direct and BlitzSafe Adapter to the MCC HK hook up... I'm a little confused here :confused: :confused:

do you use an antenna splitter? and run one line to the radio, and the other to the blitzSafe, or is the antenna splitter built into the HK radio like a VCR Antenna Pass through?

·
S Xpress
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
phoggberg said:
So How do you hook up the XM Direct and BlitzSafe Adapter to the MCC HK hook up... I'm a little confused here :confused: :confused:
Not sure about the MCC, but the Cooper and MCS have a pre-wired harness in the side panel on the boot, that you plug the BlitzSafe interface into.

The harness is there to allow you to use a CD multi-changer in the MINI.

The BlitzSafe interface plugs into this harness in the car, and the XM Direct plugs into the BlitzSafe.

The XM Antenna then plus into the XM Direct box.

Easy fit, no need to cable anything to the front of the car - just plug and play.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
this is how I did it last April one other tip I put 4 dots of Dow Silicone under the mag mount antena to protect it from prying fingers etc and I routed the antenna cable though the bottom of the big grommet rather than the top and sealed the tiny slit I made for it with the same stuff to prevent any moisture getting in through the grommet around the antenna wire.

I love the system and the Traffic station for boston has more than payed for the unit in time saved on my trips from the cape to Maine... I do wish that the programing was less repetitive though ... both XM and Sirius take a leaf out of the Cable TV biz by having a LOT of repeat programing

The XM Module in my install is forward of the HK amplifier out of sight and bolted to the HK mounting bracket the Blitzsafe Module seen here is mounted in a way that I have easy access to its pass through connecter for the MINI's ICE device Bus just in case I ever want to use it...

if the thing can now be had for $150 it is a no brainer in my book but the install with the HK the way I did it was not a 15 min job... more like an hour and 15 min... with no HK in the way the install is just as easy as the first post in this thread shows as I talked another MINI 2 member through it on the phone and it took 10 min and she (who will remain nameless ;) ) is a self admited All thumbs when it comes to this sort of thing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.