MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone in the states is considering getting XM satellite radio for their car, be it a Mini or something else, feel free to contact me for my feelings after having it for a couple months. In short, I LOVE IT!

XM is currently running a special promotion where if you get referred by a current customer at signup you get your first month free and the person referring you get's gifts. I am of course trolling for the referrals, if you or anyone you know is considering it have them contact me.

Regardless of the promotion, XM Radio ROCKS! Will be my first mod to my Cooper S when it arrives later this year.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monthly subscription is $9.99, no contracts. That was one of the first things I looked at when considering it. You pay an initial fee to turn it on, something like $15 I think but that might be wrong, and then the $9.99 a month. What I like about it, other than the sound quality (which is amazing) is the variety of music styles they offer. Jazz alone is broken down into about 5 categories. No matter what mood I'm in there's usually always something on I like.

Right now they have 100 channels, something like 33 of them are commercial free I think. Music, sports, talk, comedy, news.... they even have BBC worldservice.

Their only competitor is Sirius Satellite radio, which only has 60 channels and costs about $16 a month. The advantage of Sirius is that it is all commercial free, which ot me is not a big deal considering how much more you get from XM for less money.

You need a XM satellite radio of course, I have a little Sony unit that has both a car and home cradle that I can move around to take the music with me. I hope the Coopers in the US offer XM radio, I'd be surprised if they didn't, but being that it looks like the headunits are going to be Becker's they might not have it. Both Sony and Pioneer make XM receivers that you add to an existing car stereo by either using an FM modulator or casette adapter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sirius Radio is available in the mini. I have a sirius brochure and BMW and Mini are signed on as supporters. I am not sure if that means that you will be able to get XM on those units or not. I Really love the whole idea of the satellite radio. too bad its not available in Canada! Although I hear that perhaps there might be a grey market for the product starting to grow? I am not sure how since you need to be signed up or something. I would sure love to find out more.

J

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got an email back from MINI USA after asking about the service provided with their stereo's....

According to MINI USA, their Tech's are currently working on XM for the MINI, not Sirius (at least they made no mention of Sirius). Said they are working out the final details to make it work perfectly in the mini, which I assume has to do with hiding the antennae somewhere in the bodywork like they do the GPS antennae.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jayomatic said:
I Really love the whole idea of the satellite radio. too bad its not available in Canada! Although I hear that perhaps there might be a grey market for the product starting to grow? I am not sure how since you need to be signed up or something. I would sure love to find out more.

J
If you know someone in the states they could activate the service with their creditcard. For instance, if I were the friend, you'd pay me a year's subscription and then I'd pay it with my card a year in advance. Would require staying in touch to continue the service at the end of that year though or the person in the US would have to cancel it.

This is of course completely obvious I'm sure, not much different than getting Direct TV in Canada using a hacked card I suppose. Not that I'd know anything about that of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts