MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a second-hand 2011 Cooper S Convertible with Media Pack.

It didn't come with a cable to connect my iPhone 4S, so I used the standard Apple one. All the artwork etc worked OK, but there was no sound. I now realise that I need to buy a Y-Cable or a Snap-In for the armrest.

Looking at various posts on various forums, I am getting totally confused.

It seems that the more expensive and tidier option is the Snap-In but it appears that you miss out on a fair bit of functionality. Is this right? Do you really not get full control over your iPhone's music?

On the other hand, the cheaper and messier (I hate too many cables) option is the Y-Cable, which supports all the functions (full music library access, all the features of the Connected app, etc.).

Could someone "boil down" the key points to the key pros and cons? What's the best route to go? Cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
Y-cable is the best (and much cheaper route). You get more functionality, hassle free install and actually the BMW cable is fairly short so it isn't that messy - you can sit the iphone upside down in the cup holders or coin area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my experience the arm rest snap in adaptor does everything with my iPhone 4S. I have satellite navigation, full Bluetooth, mini connected etc. album art works, full control of iPod functions, better mobile signal using the roof antenna etc. it takes seconds to snap my phone in and everything works first time. The snap is is the third type I believe and cost me about £ 160. Not cheap but it does have a cooling fan to keep your iPhone from getting hit whilst being used and charging. An overheating iPhone can shorten battery life and possibly damage the internals over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah I have the media snap in adaptor for the iPhone 4s and it works fine with full access to mini connected music with full cover art on the mini display.fully function stealing wheel control for navigation through the menu and volume control. My mini is a 2011 model Jcw with media pack and nav.

Snap in adapter for me much more tidy.

If you have the centre arm rest it takes two min to fit and your mini dealer can check for you when you buy the snap in adaptor to make sure it's all going to work for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Tigercub
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing