MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so with my MCS scheduled to arrive in port August 1st, and get to my dealer sometime after that, Its about time to start deciding what to do for shifting upgrades.

So if you're interested, read on, otherwise go drool over the picture thread, because this will get boring very quickly.

There's a few issues here:
1. I have acidic skin, which tends to eat away most metals, with the exception of Titanium, Gold and Stainless steel. Doug has said the standard WSM's are 304 stainless, which is probably corrision resistant enough, but does have me a bit worried.
2. There's this new and exciting option of a phenolic knob, (aka a pool ball). But maybe its just me, pool balls remind me of old style 8 ball shifters, not quite the work of art of a WSM.
3. I have no idea what design I'd want, mostly because I like simplicity. I was never a big fan of complicating things for the sake of being complicated. I think my brain is programmed to reject such things like Paisley as just plain ugly.
3b. This stops being much of an issue with the pool ball one (though maybe I can choose which ball I want? never asked Doug about that)

Thoughts? I feel like if I get a plain knob its not as exciting, and doesn't take advantage of the personalization opportunities. Something simple like my initals aren't a whole lot better either.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Standard pool balls are pretty big. I had one years ago on a Hurst shifter. Got tired of it quickly.

The ones Doug does wit the quick connect are pretty darned nice though.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What if you got a brushed stainless Whalen shift knob with an 8-ball design?

I just got my Whalen shift knob (brushed with polished top), and I love the feel of it...

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With having the blue dashboard + door bezels, I'm a bit worried about contrasting colors with the shifter. Too much color inside the car could end up looking really bad. I wonder how close the 2/10 balls are to HB? hrm... As I have neither an HB MINI or a set of pool balls, I can't really tell.

I just looked, and a standard pool ball is 2.25" If a standard WSM is 2" does the 1/4" really matter? I wouldn't think it'd be much of a big deal. Aparently snooker balls are 2 1/8" As I don't even really know what snooker is, that doesn't help much.

So many decisions! thanks for the help though.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do really like the #8 (happens to be my favorite #)... That'd not a bad idea at all.. I'll have to think about that. Unique, but not too crazy. Except if people think my car has 8 speeds, well, then they're dumb.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would stick to them metal one, in my mind you cant beat it for feel. Also would the pool ball one have that same weight as a metal one. Because this is the reason it makes the shifts so much smoother!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Let us know what you decide... I drove my MINI today for the first time with my new Whalen shift knob, and it is a whole new experience, seriously. I look forward to the excuse to shift. mmmmm

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd email him and ask, but I think the general rule is if its complicated, he needs a cad design, if its simple he doesn't. (Probably because he feels comfortable he won't mess up the design by drawing it himself in CAD)

·
Registered
352 Posts
kapps said:
Does Doug still need a CAD design of the shift knob or is he now able to make the design from a sketch? I'd like to get a knob sometime in the fairly near future and want to get my facts straight.
I don't have any CAD software; but I do have a copy of MasterCam, for programming my CNC mill.

Using MasterCam, I can easily draw up a design, as long as it consists of definite lines, arcs, etc.
If your design is a logo, or some type of freehand drawing, I would need a DXF file of it; from there I can easily program the mill to engrave it.

As an example, I had a customer a couple months ago who wanted the outline of a dog engraved. For me to draw it up would have taken FOREVER, so I had her drawing converted into DXF format by my friend, IQQIMINI.
Once I had the DXF, engraving the design was no problem.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so as I've had my car for over a month now, and its value has just increased (Anthracite headliner $200 now and $500 price increase as of 1/05) I might as well celebrate and get a a WSM.

The best idea anyone has had so far is the 8 ball design courtesy of AmRov.

Any other suggestions before I go ahead and order?

·
MINI SPONSOR
329 Posts
Doug has said the standard ones's are 304 stainless, which is probably corrosion resistant enough, but does have me a bit worried.
I'm a little worried also for you. The 304 stainless can be etched just by tomato juice in a few hours if left in the air. Better choice is 316 stainless this was made for the food and chemical industries because of the weakness of 304 stainless.
Stryder: Added note, if you clean the shift knob each time you drive you may not have this problem.
Also you can periodically spray it with lacquer to resist this etching.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cleaning could help, though I have to admit, I'm not the biggest cleaning person, I'll admit that brake dust collects on my wheels sometimes, etc, so its probably not realistic. I'm worried about the look with laquer, not to mention potentially wearing off on it own. I had a carbon steel watch that corroded, and I put nail laquer (not the same thing, but its close) on it, and then the laquer just dissolved. Of course there's less skin contact with the shift knob then a watch.

I had forgotten about the material issue until you brought it up..so many decisions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
stryder
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing