MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mini Wannabe
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I live in New England (near Boston), am an avid skier (ski patroller), and am considering a new S convertible. Any help would be most appreciated..

1) How bad/good is the car in the snow? I appreciate it has low ground clearance, but as a front wheel drive it should be relatively good. I think I would get at least snow tires and probably studded tires. Anyone have any thoughts on comparing it to a 4WD?

2) I'm used to an old Jeep Cherokee. I haul plywood, rocks, all sorts of crap and beat it unmercifully. With the mini I'd need a trailer. Can I reasonably expect to haul an 8 foot long utility trailer? Does it track okay with a trailer behind?

3) Is the convertible rop okay in the cold? Is it warm? Quiet?

4) What kind of mileage can I expect to get?

5) In the UK there's a long waiting list for the convertible. Is that the case here? Are they selling at list or below list?

6) Anything I should look out for in a purchase? Any gotchas?

If you wanted to email me it's mailto: [email protected]
Many thanks!

Beau Schless

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
I can help, at least partially, with some of your questions:

1. Snow. I live in Sweden so have some experience with snow :D My Cooper handles just fine and feels very secure and in-control. I have M+S snow tyres so they're not studded, but fine for most roads. We have about -5C here just now and the ice is no problem.

2. Towing. The S has a central exhaust so a towing bracket is not an option.

5. Availability/price. The waiting list here is 7-8 months. And I don't think you'll get below list price - I haven't heard of anyone who has on any model.

·
Mini Wannabe
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Trailer for the "S"?

So it sounds like the only trailer option I'd have would be to get a standard mini with the sports package. So equipped iis it really different from the "S" package? I really do need to be ablke to haul things or I'll beat my car up too much.

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
I live in Colorado. My advice for you is...

Do yourself a favor...do not buy a MINI for the purpose that you outline.

Peter...in Denver

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
Well..first off.with all due respect...I am inclined to think this whole thread has got to be a joke.

You state that you use your vehicle as a truck... that you will be hauling equipment to ski runs...driving in what you hope ill be deep heavy snow.

Why on earth would you ask a MINI which is not dsigned to do that ...to do that? Putting a heavy trailer on an independent rear suspension? Choosing a car on which you cannot mount a roof rack?

Why are you not looking at a 4wd? At least an Element-CR/V-Rav4? Hybrid Escape?

I mean if anybody has a real reason to drive an SUV it's you!

This is just my opinion...but if you choose a MINI for what you say you want to do...you're daft!

Peter... who has a CR-V for things like that...in Denver

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I can help on a few as I just upgraded from an MC to an MCSC:

1) The car is OK in the snow. It will get you where you have to go but not as safely as an SUV might. I live in NY and my MINI was ok in the snow, but I know in Mass they tend to get a little bit more snow then down here and if you are going to be hauling things I don't think it's the best option. (this is speaking from ecperience of my MC, haven't driven in much snow in the convert. yet)

3) Not cold at all. Yeah it is when you first get in the car, but what car isn't. Warms up pretty fast especially with the heated seats. A little louder then the tin top but definitely bearable.

4) I've been getting around 23-24 miles to the gallon on mostly highway driving. Down from my MC which was almost 30. But I drive fast, so that could be part of the reason.

5) I waited 6 weeks and got $300 off MSRP (only because I was a returning customer).

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you can swing it, buy the MINI and keep the Jeep. You'll see a lot of SUV bashing around here, but you need one. As a matter of fact, I could use one myself... I shoot clay targets competitively (not really, but I enter anyway ;) ) Two or three guys and all the equipment is a lot to carry, and often it is up a long steep gravel road.... I also fish and do a lot of bowling. My bowling buddy has a bag that carries 6 balls. (Yeah, it's got wheels on it. Shoulda come with a coupon for a free hernia operation too.) I'd like to have a nice Tahoe to use for all that stuff, but there's no way I'd pay $40K for something that'd get beat up... I'm on the lookout for an early 90's Tahoe with a 5-Speed manual for a good price. (GM listed it as available, but never seen one)

MINI's are great little cars, but I plan to add one to my fleet, not swap one of my current cars for it. You definately sound like a person who needs more than one car!

Rawhyde

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.