MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through the owners manual last night and came across the starting the engine part. It says to not let the mini sit after starting the engine and to start driving immediately.

Obviously im not going to question the owners manual and follow what it says, however i was always told by everyone to let the car sit for a minute or 2 before driving especially in cold weather because running an engine cold was very bad for it. Whats the dangers of letting the car sit after starting it?

·
Zing!
28 Posts
People and companies have different theories on this but the general consensus is that you should just drive the car slowly as soon as you start it. Just don't go above 3000 rpm or so until the engine has fully come up to temp. I think most people will agree with me on this. Moden engine systems are so advanced that you don't really have to worry about letting it warm up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should always wait for the oil pressure to register before pulling away.......let it idle for approx.15 seconds, or so, especially if you live in a very cold climate.

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I think the idea is that if you sit there idling for an extended period the oil can become contaminated by moisture (combustion by-product) and fuel (they run rich at start in the cold). By driving away gently, you help the rings seat, and the engine to get up to temperature more quickly. :)

·
BertMini
31 Posts
Warm-up

Most modern cars are saying this now, and as long as you keep the revs low for a couple of miles all will be well...

Having said that, as i've got SatNav i can't tell when it's warmed up anyway!!! No Gauges....

Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
My neighbour was criticising me the other day for "not leaving it running for 3 mins after driving to let the Turbo cool down".

I had to set 'im straight :mad:

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
The main reason is the Catalytic Converter. The MCS runs rich as it is and even more so when cold. The excess carbon from burning the extra fuel over time will plug up the converter. That is why if you drive only five miles or so daily at low RPM and speeds you need to take it on the freeway and "Blow it out".
Tavis1 :red:

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
AND don't forget car companies have got to be seen to be doing everything to protect the environment, the longer you sit there with the engine idling the more 'damage to the environment' you do! Your 'thin' synthetic oil (another environmently friendly product) should provide adequate protection when the engine is cold, just don't go red-lining it until it is up to temp!

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
GeordieDave said:
.... as i've got SatNav i can't tell when it's warmed up anyway!!! No Gauges....

Dave

Me too..... I was wondering how long it takes to get to "normal" operating temperature from start (in miles or time or both!)

Can someone with a temp gauge let us know please... Also, I heard that the gauge DOES NOT MOVE once it gets to normal, even if it is overheating. All you get is nothing...nothing...nothing... and then it moves to the red really quickly. Is this true?

I normally drive for about 3-4 mins before really giving it some (above 4k rpm) ... is this about right?

Don't really rev it until about 10 mins or 5 miles have passed though! Never really bothered about it apart from not revving straight away.

Sorry from the slight deviation in topic...

·
Registered
50 Posts
COLD ENGINE = COLD OIL=THICK OIL=POOR LUBRICATION!

If an engine is left running at idle to warm up, it takes longer to heat the oil. Oil is thicker when cold so the faster it gets hotter the better it will lubricate. If you run an engine from cold and keep it below 3000rpm (ish), your heating the oil much faster than if left at idle and in theory, doing less damage.

Hope that helps clear things.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have an oil temp gauge on my MCS. It takes about 5-6 miles of normal driving (taking it easy, no revs above 3,000) for the oil temp to get to normal operating temperatures.

The water temp gets to normal very quickly. Oil temp is a whole different animal, though. :eek:

·
The Mini In ME
130 Posts
Try Driving Without Removing Snow and Ice

Seeing that I don't have a garage, on a cold Maine winter day, I start OB, flip on the defrost, heating, and seats, clean if off and then go. That can take some time.

There is no choice here. I don't believe that much harm comes from letting it warm up for a few minutes.

IF that were true, boy, I guess all you people that commute and get in the jams every day are toast, as far as your car, catalytic coverter, rings, pistons and all that other noise is concerned. I guess you shouldn't drive a Mini if you have to idle for more than 30 secs.

In non-cold weather, I turn on the key, let the electronics kick in, start the beast, adjust what I need to, and then drive off. I do turn it off waiting for a train, or other times when it seems the right thing to do.

20,100 miles so far. I love this car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts