MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's another 17" tyres thread but I wondered if the people on here that have switched to non-runflat 17" tyres could state what tyres you have (including size) and what you think of them in the dry and wet?

I'm making the switch and want a tyre that suits the MINI's handling characteristics well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would be interested in this. I have dunlop 17s rf on my r56 with sports suspension and although it is very well damped the grip in the wet is pretty bad and there is a lack of feel through the steering. it feels like the wheels are just too heavy!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well a lot of people are switching to non-runflats on here and as the whole reason I bought a MINI was for its handling and fun factor I want it to be as it should be. There are a few threads on this but I just wanted each person's review of the tyres they've gone for.

I'v heard good stories about TOYO's and apparently Falkens?

·
Registered
664 Posts
After a year of ownership I changed from run-flats to Falken 512s on my R53 Cooper S. Now I don't have a broken back from the firmness of the ride! Never had any traction or slip problems at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Recently changed from dunlop 9000 runflats 205/45/17 to faulken 452, 215/40/17 and the differance is emmence.

The main reason for me changing was the handleing in the wet on the dunlops was absolutely terrible,Very bad understeer on roundabouts as low as 30 mph.

I cant comment on the wear of the faulkens yet as they only done 200 miles so far but the grip in both dry and especially the wet is a massive differance to the point that is almost like a new car to me

The reviews i read do suggest however that the faulkens wear is excellant compared to the likes of the f1's

By the way i have the cooper s cab so not sure if there would be a differance in the handleing compared to the tin top

Hope that helps ya mate ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info so far.

Antipop... do the Falkens feel "spongey"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldnt say they feel spongey mate,They do feel a lil comfier than the runflats thogh as a 40 tyre it still aint the comfiest ride out there.

I give it some last nite actually and when say you go a lil bit quick around a roundabout it does feel a lil bit spongey on the sidewalls compared to the runflats which i like as i can now feel what the car is doing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts