MINI Cooper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I did.
Any chance you'd be willing to share please ??
We've tried everything suggested in the thread but still got a red light on empty in the fuel gauge
Getting a code 3 reading but says we have 46 litres in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Any chance you'd be willing to share please ??
We've tried everything suggested in the thread but still got a red light on empty in the fuel gauge
Getting a code 3 reading but says we have 46 litres in the tank.

Have you checked the wiring in the rear passengers footwell where the earth wire for the senders splits in two?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you checked the wiring in the rear passengers footwell where the earth wire for the senders splits in two?
Yes the wiring there looks ok, with no visible damage. Also followed the loom down and can't see anything untoward

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey does any one have the fix for this. Gauge stopped working overnight. Car had 3/4 tank full and now showing as stuck on red light and mpg showing ----
I have changed one sensor in the back, however i am not sure if the change the other one. when plugged into the computer at the garage the error is shows TANK LEVER SENSOR 2

any ideas on a further fix for this? thanks everyone

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, hi everybody, just thought i would post my findings after scouring the internet and talking to bmw mini and having no luck whatsoever. so here is what i found, under the rear passenger seat remove the panel, remove plug from fuel pump, in front of the panel there is the floor carper that comes up and under the rear seat, pull that back and there is a rubber bung with a cable going through, pull this out and with a bit of tugging the cable will pull through, i found a corroded wire by pulling on each of the thin wires and one of them just snapped off, cut back a little then resolder a new wire to both cut ends, replace everything back to normal and hey presto, fuel gauge now working, this saved me paying out for a new fuel pump, hope this helps anyone out there, if you cant do it yourself, which i will say its a little tricky, then explain to a good auto electrician and he will fix it for you. this is what forums are for and i hope i have helped at least one person today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^^^ Nice attitude to helping people solving their car problems.

Anyone searching this forum in years to come and you've not found a solution, and now have stumbled across this thread, just remember that k3fus may have the answer, but...

:eeksurprise:
Just as you said, 5 years later, I am looking for an answer...that I can't have, because someone had to pay an astonishing amount of 150£ and did not want to share the information... This persons mini does not deserve him. Shame

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just as you said, 5 years later, I am looking for an answer...that I can't have, because someone had to pay an astonishing amount of 150£ and did not want to share the information... This persons mini does not deserve him. Shame
I do still have my Mini (with its working fuel gauge) and read this forum, so what’s your point?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't done a system diagnosis check ..(don't know how to)..can you tell me how..and codes? Thanks.
Had the problem 4 months ago 3 segments.showing .however ran out of fuel..when filled still 3 segments.
Tested gauge op with separate tank units ok.. fitted them ..fuel gauge accurate. Today fault reoccured..tank brimmed ..3 segments. Ran for 50 miles gauge empty pump warning illuminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you end up fixing it? I have a similar problem on my 2008 mini Cooper s
If the gauge is stuck on Red LED thats caused by wiring not the sender or sensor etc.

The most common issue is the corrosion with wiring get underneath the back seat .

Remove the round cover of the PASSENGER side Sender unit Check the wiring through .

You will have to remove the bottom interior trim .(The long plastic one from back to front)

Follow the wiring which goes underneath the car immediately below the sender unit before goes back in behind the cover you removed.

Check the wiring there because this is caused by a wire corroded possibly touching the chassis causing short circuit which seems like a sender sensor issue..its not.

Once the wire is fixed turn the ignition off replug the sender connector then turn the engine on.

It's important because the vehicle registered as the connector unplugged and carry on showing RED.

Once you plug in back in and turn it on and off BINGO the gauge is back to normal.

This is 99 put of 100 times is the problem.
I have had a problem for several years on my 2005 Cooper S Cabriolet. When I fill up with fuel, 60% of the time the empty tank warning stays on And the gauge remains at empty. This can last several days/journeys/restarts and then it goes out.

You suggest that this is a wiring fault, but do you think it could be a sensor fault as it only happens at refuelling time? Any ideas anybody please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK , Can I sum up what I think I've gathered from this.... the drivers side sensor measures the bottom half of the tank, the passenger side measures the top half ? , so if (6.0) shows 180250 , you'd expect the 180 to drop to 0 when you hit half a tank ? Which would make sense as (6.1) just adds the 2 together 180 +250 = 430. (6.2) shows 000 , which I guess means 3 blobs.(signal illegible) . I've checked the 3 spliced earth connections behind the passenger seat , they're OK , but I snipped and re-soldered them anyway to be sure.... so if 180 gradually drops to zero then 250 starts dropping, the sensors must be OK ? so why doesn't the gauge work if the sensors are ok. dodgy gauge ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I took it for a spin , now (6.0) reads 177250 ..... so that makes sense. Perhaps 250 is too high ? Maybe once I get down to half a tank , and the 250 starts dropping, the gauge will start working again. The weird thing is (6.2) used to be 000 ,which I took to mean 3 , but it now says 014 , so that's confused me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AH , the code for (6.2) is displayed at the far left , so my 6.2 code is 1 (both sensors OK)...... I'll wait till I get under half a tank and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found you could buy a complete used sender kit from ebay for £20 , so I bought one and buzzed it out with my multimeter. As your looking at it in the car:-

41 - 60 of 124 Posts